The MGH Metabolic Imaging Core was founded in 2004 by Martin Torriani, M.D., M.Sc..
Our mission is twofold:
- to provide imaging services for metabolic research
- to develop research and education in metabolic and musculoskeletal imaging
Imaging we provide
We have implemented a wide array of advanced non-invasive metabolic investigations using QCT, MRI and MRS, including:
- Volumetric QCT for BMD
- QCT for body composition (VAT and SAT)
- 1H-MRS of marrow
- 1H-MRS of liver
- 1H-MRS of muscle (1D and 2D-L-COSY)
- 1H-MRS of adipose tissue
- 13C-MRS of adipose tissue
- Dynamic 31P-MRS of muscle
- High resolution imaging of joints for cartilage relaxometry (T2, T1rho mapping)
- High resolution imaging for 3D reconstructions for biomechanics research
We currently work with 14 PIs on 28 active research protocols and perform around 600 scans/year. Most of our studies are performed for NIH-funded PIs, however we also collaborate in many investigator-initiated industry-funded studies.
Martin Torriani, M.D., M.Sc.
Miriam A. Bredella, M.D.
Leonardo Martinez Salazar, M.D.